Good communication is one of our core values here at Valet, and we’re happy to utilize whatever tools make communication easier, more effective, and more efficient. Loom, a video messaging app, is one of those tools for both our team and our clients.
We often use Loom to show a client new functionality on their website or ask a complex question. Loom is also super helpful when clients need to describe an issue to us. We also use it for communication among our team members.
It’s often hard to describe something through text alone, so Loom enables us to communicate better through video.
Below is a guide on how to create a Loom account and start using it!
How to create your Loom account:
1. Go to loom.com and click on “Get Loom For Free”.
The “Get Loom for Free” is a purple button in the top bar of the website, right after the button that says “Sign In”.
2. Choose how you would like to create your new Loom account.
There are choices to Sign up with Google, Slack, Apple, and SSO. Below these a user can type in their email address to create an account.
How to use your new Loom account:
3. Once your account has been created and you’re logged in, you can choose the “Record a video” option in the bottom-left corner of the screen:
4. You may be prompted by your browser to give Loom permission to record you; you’ll need to select “Allow” to continue.
5. Next, you will see your recording options, which include recording video with your webcam and audio with your microphone. Depending on your preference, these can be toggled on and off by clicking the video camera icon and the microphone icon respectively. When you’re ready, you can select “Start Recording”.
6. You will now be prompted to choose what you would like to record; whether you’d like to capture your entire screen, an entire window, or just one browser tab. Once you have made your choice, select “Share” to begin:
7. Once you have begun recording, you will see the options on the bottom-left corner of the screen; you can stop by selecting the red square icon, pause using the pause button, or use the trash can icon to delete the recording:
8. Once your video is complete, Loom will open it in a new tab where you can view and edit your video. By clicking the three dots at the top right corner of the screen, you can copy the link or download the video to share it:
With a free Loom account, you have all of these features and more. While you do have limited video storage, downloading the videos and saving them somewhere else may be helpful if you aren’t ready to upgrade. There is also a time limit of 5 minutes with a free account, which can be helpful in keeping your videos clear, quick, and concise.